Building Permits

What Is a Building Permit?

A building permit is a license that is required granting legal permission to construct, enlarge, or remodel a building.

How to Apply for a Permit?

Building Permits for Claiborne County are issued by the County Mayor’s Office located in the old courthouse on Main Street in Tazewell.  Building permits within city limits of New Tazewell, Tazewell, and Harrogate are issued by those city offices.

A septic permit is required before a building permit can be issued. For more information on a septic permit, call 865-594-6035.

The name of the property owner, address, and square footage of living space is required to obtain a building permit.

For more information on building permits in the County, call 423-626-5236.

Building Permit Prices

Building permit prices are based off of the Building Structure Value (BSV).

BSV = total square footage x $200 per square foot.

Under $250,000 – 0.15%

$250,000 – $500,000 – 0.25%

$500,000 – $1,000,000 – 0.50%

Over $1,000,000 – 1%

*Building permit for mobile homes are based on the purchase price.

*Campers in mobile home lots or on private property require a building permit.