To investigate fire events to determine origin, cause, and responsibility in accordance with assignments from clients or assigned legal counsel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accepts assignments from customers for investigation of losses or claims and pursues investigation in accordance with the specific needs of the assignment.
- Determines the origin and cause of the loss/claim under investigation and identifies any potential third-party responsibility for subrogation potential.
- Maintains required reporting commitments to client in accordance with EFI’s standard procedures.
- Promotes and markets utilization of EFI services in the insurance industry and within assigned territory
- Serves as a liaison between the insurance industry and law enforcement/fire service personnel.
- Investigates losses/claims with illegal, fraudulent or subrogation aspects in accordance with assignment from client or assigned attorney representing insurer.
- Identifies and interviews all witnesses or involved persons who may possess information or knowledge pertaining to incident under investigation: motive, opportunity or any other information or evidence that may assist in concluding a factual and complete investigation.
- Develops necessary knowledge and expertise required to conduct thorough inspection of available public records including land deeds, mortgages, liens, suits, judgments, marriage and divorce records, etc.
- Maintains up-to-date information in regard to existing laws pertaining to rights of privacy and availability of public records to assure that all investigations are conducted in a completely legal and ethical manner.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization’s quality program(s).
- Travels as required.
Education & Licensing
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred. Minimum certification requirement for consideration, Certified Fire & Explosion Investigator (CFEI). IAAI Certified Fire Investigator (IAAI-CFI) certification is preferred.
Will be required to obtain the IAAI-CFI certification within 6 months of employment.
Three (3) years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Skills & Knowledge
- Good oral and written communication
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong investigative skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies